When you're breaking any fast you never want to eat those heavy insalubrious foods. Even if you were to break a fast that you had done for a week you would never start by eating a hamburger or a hot dog. You would immediately become sick because your body would have eliminated all impurities and the mere introduction of toxins into a clean body is enough to make the body immediately reject those toxins. For the record I generally consume a diet of roughly 70 percent raw foods and the rest are cooked in some way, shape or form. Without further adieu here are some food items and their nutritional healing properties that may be found in your kitchen.
Plant Based Foods and Their Healing Properties
1. Avocado. This fruit is rich in Vitamin B6 and folic acid. These two nutrients are responsible for keeping your heart healthy. B- Vitamins in general are great for promoting great cardiovascular function. I re-call doing some lecture work in a Chicago Church and the pastor of the church was particularly ailed by the condition known as congestive heart failure. Through nutrition he was able to improve his condition because he was prescribed a plethora of B Vitamins and the elimination of certain toxic foods from his diet. This fruit is also rich in the anti-aging agent known as glutathione. If you're having eye problems you will want to consume more avocadoes because of the high amounts of carotenoid lutein. This nutrient helps to prevent macular degeneration. Once you contract macular degeneration the next step is the loss of your eye sight. Carotenoid lutein is also found in carrots which is why people with vision problems are encouraged to eat carrots as bugs bunny did. Avocado also helps with the fertility of women. Ironically it takes the avocado the same amount of time to develop as it does a fetus in the womb of it's mother, 9 months!
2. Pears. The fiber from pears are linked to helping to reduce breast and colon cancer. The good news about pears is that they are sweet. If you want a soft pear you can leave it out on the table for a few days and you will notice that it will soften more with each day.
3. Cucumbers. This is my favorite green vegetable. Cucumbers contain chemical compounds called lignans. Lignans are also responsible for cancer prevention. If you cannot get to any water from some odd reason you can eat a cucumber for water content. Cucumbers are roughly 95 percent water.
4. Bananas. These guys are necessary because they contain potassium which control nerve and muscle function. If you have ever been involved with high level activity like sports and caught a cramp then you know how important bananas can be. Bananas also help soothe your stomach when you are experiencing digestive issues or pain. If you're diabetic you have to be careful with banana consumption because you wouldn't want to cause a spike in your blood sugar.
5. Watermelon. Contains 20 percent of your daily Vitamin C which is responsible for your maintaining a strong immune system. Art Linkletter was a guy who tried to live to be 100 years old just by consuming Vitamin C and no other supplemental nutrients. He made it to his nineties which was still a great achievement. Watermelon also contains 17 percent of your daily Vitamin A. This is also another source of water hence the name watermelon. It will also help clean your system from the high water content.
These are just a few healing properties of fruits and vegetables. Never underestimate the power of what's in your cupboard or on your table!
Copyrighted material. All rights reserved 2015.
This publication is courtesy of Urban Kryptonite Films via Cochise Tarak-Saa.